Many people dread popcorn ceiling repair, because it seems like a real pain to replace this type of texture. It is a little different than repairing a patch in the wall, but if you follow just a few simple steps the replacement of the popcorn ceiling repair can be an easy task after all.
Popcorn Ceiling Repair Determine The Damage
When you are performing ceiling repairs or Ceiling Drywall Repair it is important to Popcorn Ceiling Removal determine how the damage occurred so it doesn’t happen again. If the kids were playing and scraped the ceiling, then something like this is easy. Water leaks are the most common. Be sure to repair any leaking pipes or Roof Leak Repairs first before you begin fixing the ceiling. If there is a large hole from a hook or some other type of damage then you will need to fill the hole. A complete removal of popcorn is much easier than a project to replace a large popcorn section. However, both jobs are relatively simple to perform for most people who are handy.
The first thing you need to do with popcorn ceiling repair it to prepare the area by sanding it down to a smooth texture. If any of the texture remaining is damaged then be sure to remove that too. This is important, because if you try to apply new texture to any remaining damaged texture it will not stick. Once you have removed the damaged texture and sanded the area it will be ready to be primed.
Look At The Textures
It is important to be sure to match the texture with popcorn ceiling repair. You don’t want a different texture, because it will then be too obvious that there was damage at one point in time that needed to be repaired. Many people are able to find a personalized match with texture by using a paint additive, but you can find premixed spray on textures in your local home improvement stores. The spray on textures allows you to have control over the amount and size of aggregate which provides the popcorn effect. Popcorn comes in many different textures including fine, medium, and coarse. Gradually add the texture to the areas until you have matched the existing portions of the ceiling.
Doing Popcorn Ceiling Repair
• Performing popcorn ceiling repair can be quite messy when you spray on the popcorn
• Be sure that you cover areas well and protect them
• Use water and sponges so you can quickly clean up any areas where some of the popcorn you are spraying might spread
• When you apply the texture you want to use a roller and in areas close to the walls you will need to use a brush or an edger
Popcorn Ceiling Texture Popcorn ceiling repair is quite simple to do, because you can buy the texture in a spray can. Once the area you have replaced or repaired has dried be sure it matches the consistency of the rest of the ceiling. If you need to spray more it is okay to add a second layer. Once you have completed applying the texture, you can paint the ceiling to match the rest of the room. It is okay to paint over popcorn.
Ceiling Drywall Repair Sagging And Cracks
Ceiling drywall repair is very simple to do. Instead of paying a contractor to come to your home to replace a sagging ceiling or cracks, you might consider doing this project yourself. In just a few simple steps, you can replace portions of a ceiling that have issues like cracks or damage to the textures.
Determining The Cause Of The Problem
Before you attempt any type of ceiling drywall repair it is vital you determine the cause of the problem and even make use of a drywall estimator. If you are repairing holes from hooks and things this is simple. However, if there are pipes above the ceiling in the plenum leaking then it is most important these leaks are repaired first. There is no point of drywall ceiling repair if you do not repair the cause of the problem. Repairing the problem first will mean you won’t have to repair the ceiling for a second time, it is also wise estimating roofing costs before hand to ensure that you don’t run out of funding in the middle of the repairing process.
• A crack or a minor hole in the ceiling is easy to repair because all you need to do is fill it with joint compound, sand it down, and repaint the area.
• Home roof repair is much easier than industrial roof repairing because first of all you handling different material which has unique textures and sizes so don’t assume you can repair the roof at your work if you fixed your roof at home.
• If the ceiling has special textures like popcorn then the repair needs to be given a little more attention.
• Always remove the damage texture first and sand down the area really well. You can reapply texture by spraying it from a spray can or as paint.
• Texture for the ceiling can be purchased at your local home improvement store. Be sure the texture you choose matches the current ceiling, unless you are replacing the entire ceiling in the room.
• For a smooth finish on the ceiling, all you will need to do is sand it down really well in the areas where the drywall meets and is joined together before you paint.
Repair Using New Drywall
If you are performing ceiling drywall repair due to water damage or a large hole then you will need to use new drywall.
Pull down the damaged drywall in the ceiling and attach new pieces.
Reattach the drywall along the seam where the wall meets and attach it to the joist by nailing it in.
If the ceiling is damaged due to water damage but only has minor stains and you feel you can use the existing drywall, then be sure to use a sealant.
Water-based stains are known to bleed through drywall repairs in the ceiling. They can be avoided by applying a coat of stain sealant primer.
Once you have nailed in the drywall during your ceiling drywall repair the next step is to tape and mesh together any pieces of drywall that are joined and even in the corners where the wall meets the ceiling. Use the drywall tape. Once you have applied the drywall tape, use joint compound and smooth it over the tape to secure it to the drywall. If you don’t use the compound over the tape then the tape will not be secured enough and eventually peel away from the wall. Sand down the areas really well and then the new areas in the ceiling are ready to paint.