If you’ve ever wondered how to make a coffee table, you’re not alone. Millions of people today do not know how to make one, but with a few easy steps, you will be well on your way to success.
You’ve recently decided to make a few changes in the decor of her living room. Naturally, this meant that one of the most important pieces of furniture in there, the coffee table, had to also be upgraded. You decided that it would not only be more affordable to make your own table, it would be more fun as well. So that’s what you set out to do. The following are the steps you should follow to make your own amazing coffee table.
Steps On How To Make A Coffee Table
- Step 1 – First, select the top for your table. As an example, you can get an unfinished pine top at a local home improvement store for $30 or less. Or you could get glass, cut either in a rectangular or circular shape, for a modern look. Some people have even used a small antique door or old shutters for their table top. Still others top their table top with mosaic tiles, for a truly eye-catching look. Use your imagination and be creative.
- Step 2 – Choose the legs for your table, and find the hardware for attaching them to the table top. You can find screw-in legs at one of the big-box home improvement stores, attaching them with simple brackets sold in the same section. You attach these brackets to the bottom of your table top with the screws you’ve bought. Then screw the legs directly into the brackets. Be sure to measure where you want the legs to go, and mark this spot, prior to attaching the brackets. Make sure you screw in the legs straight.
- Step 3 -Finish the table according to your tastes and your rooms decor. Maybe you want to paint yours in black enamel, and finished it with a few coats of polyurethane, to give it added durability.
An Alternate Method On How To Make A Coffee Table
While the above method can work with a glass-top coffee table, there is another method you might use for this one. Lets discuss how to make a coffee table using this alternate method. As before, buy your tables glass top. You can find these at Home Depot, Pier One, IKEA, or Grand Harbor. Make sure its tempered glass which is at least 12mm thick. It should have beveled edges.
- Find an appropriate base for the table. We’re talking about the legs here, and there are an infinite number of ways to make coffee table legs. You could use driftwood or something such as a clay planter, large flat stone, set of drums, or traditional legs. Some people even choose to put wheels on their base. Make the base as unique as you are, again, keeping in mind your living room decor.
- Now arrange your tables base so it’s right. That just means making sure its level and looks right. Get some rubber dots from a hardware store. These you’ll use to protect the glass from scratching at its base. It also prevents the glass from moving too easily. And finally, set the table top onto the base. Your stunning new coffee table is now complete.
There you have it: a short lesson in how to make a coffee table. If neither of these plans works for you, or you find it difficult to follow, there are many free plans on the Internet, many of them with complete diagrams that make the process easy. They should be able to help you. Or if you don’t mind spending a little money, there are even plans on how to make coffee table books. Why get some store-bought table that looks like what a few thousand other people have, when you can have a true original as you are?
More Function With A Wooden Storage Coffee Table
If you think that all coffee tables are made for looks and not for function, then you need to consider the many good options in storage coffee tables. These nice pieces of furniture are not only attractive, but quite practical. Lets discuss the benefits of storage coffee tables and how to shop for the perfect one for your living room.
Storage coffee tables are designed to have a use other than being a rooms centerpiece and holding the occasional drink. This kind of table is generally built more sturdily than other coffee tables. This means you can expect to pay slightly more for one of these, but in return for that extra money, you’ll have a table that will likely last a bit longer.
Different Storage Coffee Tables Designs
You can find a storage table in a variety of designs, colors and styles. Look long enough and you’ll find one that fits almost any living space. Some options available include big or small
- wooden storage tables
- complete with drawers
- leather ottomans
- trunk coffee tables
- steamer trunk tables
You’ll find every style, from traditional to contemporary. Therefore, no matter what your specific preference, you should be able to find a functional, attractive coffee table that fits your home and your personality.
Looking At The Color Of Storage Coffee Tables
Worried about color? No need to be. For rooms with lighter color schemes, the white storage coffee table looks good. Or there is the wooden storage coffee table, with a wood-grain color for a traditional living room. In fact, you can also find tables in wicker, and even leather. And for those who prefer something other than the traditional rectangular shape, many modern homes use an oval or square shaped table. There are designs for literally any taste.
Another type of storage table that’s gaining in popularity is the lift-top coffee table. Of all of the many kinds of functional tables, this is perhaps the one that best combines beauty with function. The finishes on these are normally quite stunning.
Using A Lift-top Table
There are many things that can be done with a lift-top table.
- For instance, those who enjoy eating at the coffee table won’t need to hunch to reach the food. They just lift the top up so it becomes kind of a tray to hold the food. Likewise, this makes it easy to use your laptop computer in the living room. Rather than bending over as you type, you bring the computer up to your level.
- Kids usually enjoy having a lift-top coffee table. It’s perfect for playing games or for doing school work, since they now won’t need to sit on the floor or on their knees, trying to reach the table. They simply pull their chair up and get busy!
- One other nice thing about the lift-top coffee table: As with the other storage tables we’ve discussed, you can find them in many styles, such as traditional, country and contemporary.
Hopefully now, you’re beginning to see the many options available for you with storage coffee tables. And you’ll realize that these functional tables will look great in almost any living room.