Hardwood floors are very fashionable and popular these days. It gives you a fine old fashion look to interior of your house. However, it is very important to keep it clean and take proper care of it. The thing is, wood is natural, beautiful, expensive and timeless design. So, proper caring, maintenance will insure it remain that way.
The tools you need
For cleaning the hardwood floor you need good quality of broom. Make sure that, the brooms you use to sweep the floor are soft. Also use vacuum cleaner without the beater bar. You will also need spray and soft mop. These are the basic tools you actually need.
The most common and easy way the hardwood floor can be damage is by shoe. The tiny particles from the shoes like dirt and grit acts like sandpaper and will scratch your floor.
Another common way you precious hardwood floor can be damage is by the stains. There can be many different kinds of stains and cleaning suggestions are also different for various types of stains,
- Liquor: Use a cloth dampened with warm water and detergents and rub the floor with it. You can also use cloth dampened with denatured alcohol for rubbing.
- Fruit: Warm water and detergent should work, and if it doesn’t then try rubbing with a solution of water and oxalic acid.
- Ink: First try warm water and detergent, if it doesn’t work then go for commercial ink remover.
- Nail polish: Detergent solution like scouring powder, water, and a plastic mesh pad should work for removing nail polish.
- Lipstick: Detergent and warm water are best solution. You can also try light pressure with a plastic scouring pad if it’s a tough stain.
- Dye: Firstly, DO NOT soak the area. Try rubbing with a cloth moistened with a 1:3 solution of bleach and water.
- Grease: First, let the grease clot by applying bag of frozen peas then gently scrap it off with knife. Remove any kind of remains by putting a rag on it and then carefully ironing the rag.
- Blood: Sponge the area with cold water, and if it is extra strong then use the solution of ammonia and cold water and sponge it.